Extensive experience in a unique blend of database, UNIX, project management, and customer skills. Highly skilled in approaching critical situations with a sense of urgency and proper priority. Dynamic database support and development, resulting in stable, scalable, and secure database-driven systems. Proven customer support and project management experience in a wide variety of business environments. Over five years as a DBA supporting VLDB (Very Large Databases) in several business sectors.
- DBA Support
- Application Development
- Web Development
- Customer Support
- Project Management
- Release Management
- Performance Tuning
||Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL
||UNIX (Solaris, HP-UX, AIX), MS Windows, Linux, OpenVMS, Novell
||SyncSort, Sybase Power Designer, Toad, VNC, Exceed, DreamWeaver, XML Spy, CVS, Subversion (SVN), Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Internet Explorer), ERwin, Patrol DB, Putty
Key team member providing database installation, upgrade, administration and tuning for over 20 Oracle 9i/10G databases in the AMD UNIX and Linux development environment. Managed database software upgrades, user accounts, space management, schema modifications and database performance monitoring and tuning. Provided support for the configuration management and version control for database SQL change scripts stored in the Subversion (SVN) version control system.
- Collaborated with product line managers to develop and execute an upgrade schedule for twenty Oracle 9i databases to 10G release in the AMD development environment that would not impact development timelines.
- Improved the UNIX shell script that globally propagates the SQL*Net configuration files to about thirty development and production database servers worldwide; furthermore, made modifications to auto detect the SSH security protocol on the destination server.
Provided development and support for the software application portion of the Venice Bar Code Inventory System. Centralized management of user accounts, rights, and permissions for the servers as well as the Venice application. Completed maintenance on the underlying SQL Server 2000 which serves as the Venice Bar Code application’s data repository. Developed and executed SQL ad hoc queries to retrieve system and application metrics and troubleshoot reported problems. Managed the Client Server group's Application Development/Test Lab, consisting of 12 rack-mounted Windows multiprocessor servers and help administer several SQL Server 2000 instances.
- Ensured the seamless migration of existing data records and coordinated required outages with impacted organizations. Served as the central Point of Contact for the application vendor and DPS management and personnel to facilitate the upgrade of the enterprise-wide Venice Bar Code application.
- Developed a first ever-comprehensive hardware/software inventory for the multiple applications hosted in the development test lab.
SBI GROUP (Contract), Round Rock, TX (2003 - 2004)
Core contributor of cross-functional team tasked with the development and implementation of a terabyte-scale data warehouse system for the Dell Computer Systems Logistics Project. Assisted Data Architect in the implementation and configuration of project prototypes in the Dell Linux/Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) environment. Designed and developed PL/SQL stored procedures to integrate .NET framework and security solutions with the database layer.
- Identified numerous potential liabilities in the proposed Oracle 9i RAC on a Data Guard logical standby configuration in the Linux environment.
- Successfully diagnosed and quickly resolved an Oracle tool problem on 2 of 3 nodes of the RAC prototype database during time-sensitive benchmarking phases.
ORACLE DATABASE SPECIALIST
PLATEAU SYSTEMS, LTD. (Contract), Austin, TX (2003-2003)
Supported the implementation of an Enterprise Learning Management System (LMS) targeted for release nationwide to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) enterprise. Performed daily DBA activities, including database backup and recovery, testing, and performance monitoring and tuning. Developed and documented Oracle database backup and recovery steps for the client IRS staff.
- Upgraded the Oracle database environment to higher Oracle database version levels.
- Migrated SQL and PL/SQL code between multiple Enterprise LMS database environments.
VOLT (Contract), Austin, TX (2001 - 2002)
Collaborated with client database engineers and assisted with critical database migration projects. Conducted partition and storage management on enterprise production databases. Augmented the client DBA staff to help maintain the integrity of distributed databases housed in domestic and international servers. Independently upgraded several development and production databases to Oracle 8i and 9i.
- Provided 24/7 on-call DBA support for production databases across the globe, responding to trouble calls from multiple production database sites throughout the US, Far East, and Europe.
ALISTIA CORPORATION, Austin, TX (2000 - 2001)
Implemented and maintained distributed operational databases for a startup software development enterprise. Managed distributed databases and applications supporting Java and Java Server Pages (JSP) dynamic web applications. Provided ongoing Extract Transform Load (ETL), tuning, as well as backup and recovery for numerous Oracle 8i databases.
- Designed, developed, and implemented UNIX shell scripts, SQL scripts, and Sync Sort scripts to automate the loading of SQL and Sync Sort customer data into databases on Solaris and AIX servers.
- Collaborated with ALISTIA, EDS and technical support staff to capture and implement strategies for the backup and recovery scripts.
ACXIOM CORPORATION Little Rock, AR (1998 - 2000)
Hands-on Account DBA, entrusted to design, implement and administer terabyte-class Oracle-based data warehouses for multiple high profile clients in the banking industry, including Discover Financial Services. Served as the lead DBA for the Discover Financial Services account, managing a data warehouse containing over 2.5 billion credit card transaction records. Developed and managed all ETL, SQL tuning, security, upgrade, and support activities required to maintain database reliability and response. Coordinated with customer staff for the installation and configuration of system and layered products supporting the client data warehouses on a Sun Enterprise 6500 platform. This included SAS and SAS/Connect, as well as SAS PROC SQL scripts.
- Automated Maintenance Routines to complete monthly data updates and special maintenance activities for the Discover Financial Services data warehouse.
- Project Lead for the development of a fully-automated file processing system for a client in the Skip-Trace industry, generating over $300K in new revenue for the corporation.
- Received Customer Relationship Awards recognizing customer relationship management and technical expertise during the Discover Financial Services data warehouse implementation. This included Associate of the Quarter (for the Y2K Readiness Initiative), a nomination for the corporate Project Excellence Award, and several Letters of Appreciation from the client.
PRODUCT SUPPORT REPRESENTATIVE - DBA TOOLS
BMC SOFTWARE, Austin, TX (1995 - 1998)
Provided Tier 2 support for the BMC PATROL DB product, a component of the BMC PATROL enterprise management suite. Responded to problem reports and queries for a national client base across the multiple database platforms supported for the product, including Sybase, Informix, Oracle, and DB2.
- Developed custom SQL utilities to recreate customer problem scenarios on a variety of platforms and databases to enable rapid root cause identification and resolution.
DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR / PROGRAMMER ANALYST
TENNESSEE VALLEY AUTHORITY (TVA), Chattanooga, TN ( 1990 - 1994)
Provided broad scope of database development and administration, systems administration, programming, and support for Oracle systems at TVA facilities throughout 3-state region. Diligently performed 24/7 emergency level-II support for 150 databases, as well as conducting installation, configuration, and administration of backup and recovery solutions for production servers.
- Selected as one of two employees authorized to create, migrate, and modify Oracle databases across the 3-state region, ensuring configuration consistency.
- Assigned as sole IT resource at 600-member fossil fuel power plant facility, fulfilling duties of System Administrator, MPAC Administrator, Novell LAN Administrator, Database Administrator, Programmer, and primary IT liaison.
- Collaborated with plant management and corporate staff then prepared plant annual plant IT budget proposals which resulted in the plant getting over $700K for acquisitions of IT software and hardware for the 2 year tenure.
CERTIFICATIONS AND AWARDS
- Oracle 9i/10g Certified Professional (OCP)
- Certified Computing Professional (CCP)
- A+ Certified Professional
- Nominee, Corporate Project Excellence Award
- Security+ Certified Professional
- Network+ Certified Professional
- Financial Business Unit Associate of the Quarter
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Black Data Processing Associates (BDPA)
- Special Interest Group on Security, Audit & Control (SIGSAC)
- International Webmaster's Association
- The Data Warehousing Institute (TDWI)